Canadian lives are at risk in Sudan. During the Emergency Debate, I called on Canada to:
- Take a lead role in talks with other governments to immediately evacuate our citizens;
- Work with UN Special Representative Volker Perthes to ensure a ceasefire will be respected by the Sudanese Army and Rapid Support Force;
- Grant urgent refugee status to non-citizen Sudanese who have Canadians relatives;
- Provide food and medical aid to the Red Crescent and UN World Food Programme, who paused their work after two days of fighting; and
- Implement emergency immigration measures and support for the Sudanese people caught in the crossfire, as offered to Ukrainians.